Friday 8 January 2016

SIPIDI! ~ January

I've been having a rethink of the way we eat as a family and myself in particular. I was a vegetarian before I had my children and really it's just laziness that has kept me eating meat. The effort of cooking two separate meals became too much, with a challenging toddler and a small baby to look after as well as a part time job.

























We've had "Meat Free Monday" for several years now and we quite often have a second meal during the week that is vegetarian and fish on at least one day. The Mechanic cooks home made chips on a Saturday. I have egg and mushrooms with mine, while everyone else has a meatier option.

























That's four days covered and it doesn't seem quite so daunting any more. There will be some days when I'll eat vegetarian and the rest of the family will have their usual fare and other days when we will all have the same. To that end I'm looking for meals that I think my hardened carnivores will love. The Sweet Potato Quesadillas above were a big hit.

























As was the Ultimate Chilli from The Happy Pear. I've also made this soup, found on their YouTube channel, to use up my vac-packed chestnuts. I only added 2/3rds of the stock suggested as I like my lunch soups nice and thick. On the strength of these two recipes I've ordered the cook book and I'm looking forward to trying a few more new things this month. I'll keep you posted.

All these recipes are on my Meat Free Meals board and you can find more information about SIPIDI! here.

11 comments:

alexa said...

I am a non-meat eater too, so will be checking out your links. Your photos make the dishes look most attractive.

Anonymous said...

Another vegetarian here too. I loved doing your SIPIDI previously and having been reminded of it will certainly join in again.

Maggie said...

My farmer is another hardened carnivore. He had a "tantrum " on New Years Eve because I gave him bubble and squeak and an egg. What no bacon? It was supposed to be a use up oddments snack as we were out in the evening. I love vegetarian food but couldn't give up the meat all the time.

Patio Postcards said...

Great veggie ideas. Thanks for some dinner ideas - I particularly like the sweet potato quesadilla idea. I'm also a vegetarian - the only thing keeping me from being vegan is eggs - I like eggs a lot. Mr Man is a meat eater & yes it's hard sometimes to cook separate meals.

Miriam said...

We both love to have meat free days, we like the change a veggie meal gives us. I'm going to try to join in with your SIPIDI I now use Pinterest and have a few boards, mostly craft and I made quite a few things during December.

Sandra said...

I'm not a big meat eater like Hubby is, but I may try adding some more vegetarian meals into our weekly menu

Sian said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook. I'd find it a challenge I have to admit.

Lou said...

i'm not a great fan of meat either and always opt for the veggie option. Always up for checking out a veggie meal!

Jo said...

You have been busy in the kitchen! I have to cook 2 meals every night because I like lots of flavors and Sam likes bland food, she doesn't like meat either so we only have it a couple of times a week.

Karen said...

My husband is not a fan of meat-free meals, but he's becoming more open to it. For quite some time, I tried to stick to vegetarian meals for breakfast and lunch, but fell off that path over the holidays. You inspire me to try again, and I'm off to check out your Pinterest board.

Missus Wookie said...

We do vegetarian here on a regular basis and sweet bean burritos are a favourite here. Enjoy tempting your family into more veggies too.