Saturday 13 September 2014

The Birds & the Bees….

….blowing in the breeze.

IMG_20140904_153006

Tula Pink is popular in the quilting world and I loved this Tree of Life design from the Birds & the Bees range. When I found a couple of yards on ebay, at a very good price, I snapped it up. It seemed a shame to cut it up into small pieces for patchwork* so I decided to use it to make a dress and of course there would be scraps (quite sizeable ones as it turns out) left over.

IMG_20140913_083158

Yellow is not a colour that features much in my wardrobe. Not because I don’t like it, it just doesn’t really suit me, but this mustard shade seems to work. I chose the Laurel shift dress from Colette. The front is one piece so other than the bust darts the large scale pattern won’t be broken up. I didn’t have quite enough yardage to match the rows of trees exactly, at the side seams, and I’m hoping that is not going to bug me once it’s sewn up.

There wasn’t any time for sewing over the Summer holidays and I’ve yet to finish my Lonsdale dress. I know, I know! Can’t believe I started it in April. I cut the Laurel out while waiting for my new zipper foot to arrive. I just couldn’t get on with the old one and I didn’t want to make a mess of the zip, when I’ve been so careful to get a good finish with everything else. Postie brought it this morning so I’m all set now and hope to have some finished garments to share with you very soon.

*Look what Florence has done with some of the Tree of Life fabric. Can you spot it in the purple cog? What an amazing job she’s done with the fussy cutting.

7 comments:

Sheena said...

Lovely fabric Fiona.
I look forward to following this dress as it progresses x

Lou said...

good luck with the dress. As Sheena has said the fabric is lovely x

KraftyKaren said...

Look forward to seeing you modelling the finished article x

debs14 said...

When I see posts like this I'm inspired to get dressmaking again! Can't wait to see the finished dress.

alexa said...

This is going to be very autumnal ... Looking forward to seeing you in it!

Sian said...

Perfect for Autumn. I hope you get it finished soon! I love that mustardy colour..up until a couple of years ago I had never worn it, then I bought a cardigan and discovered it's a good colour. You'll have to model your mustard for us!!

Sewing Directory said...

I do love that fabric, I have some in that colourway too but haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Can't wait to see your dress, sure it will look amazing.