Tuesday 26 April 2011

Something to do with leftover roast chicken

I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for different ideas to use up leftover cooked chicken and this is a favourite in our house at the moment. A very kind friend brought back chopsticks for my children from her recent travels in Japan. The novelty of using them hasn’t worn off yet, so noodles are requested on a weekly basis! I came up with this recipe a few weeks ago, which kills two birds with one stone. Just make sure one of them is a chicken.

Chicken noodle stir fry

noodles-1

For each person you will need:

1 nest of fine egg noodles

1/2 a red or yellow pepper, sliced

2 spring onions, diagonally sliced

100g (approx) roast chicken, shredded

1 clove of garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp mild chilli powder

a handful of frozen peas (optional)

1 tsp  of cornflour

1tbsp soy sauce

1 tsp sugar

 

Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the pack. Drain and rinse with cold water.  Set aside in a colander.

Put the cornflour and sugar in a jug. Mix to a paste with the soy sauce and then top up with 4 tbsp of water to make the sauce.

Heat a good glug of oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the sliced pepper and spring onions. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes.

Add the shredded chicken, garlic, spices and peas. Stir fry for a minute or so and then pour in the sauce.

Stir until the sauce thickens and then add the drained noodles.

Heat through and serve.

I tend to be a make-it-up-as-I-go-along and chuck-it-all-in kind of cook, so measuring out the ingredients precisely isn’t in my nature with this kind of dish. However, I realise that is not much help when it comes to sharing a recipe!

Sometimes I cook this to satisfy my children’s need to eat with chopsticks and sometimes as a family meal. I thought it was easiest to give the quantities for each person and you can just multiply to suit your own family.

I put the peas in to get an extra 5-a-day portion, but that is entirely up to you. Beansprouts would work well instead, but that would require forward planning on my part. As it stands this is pretty much a store cupboard meal for me, as I would usually have all these ingredients on hand.

If you make it, I’d love to hear about any variations you try.

Fiona x

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Jo said...

That looks and sounds lovely, I will definately give it a go, thanks for sharing Fi x

helena said...

laughed at your 2 birds joke at the start

love that your kids are requesting chopstick food - a great life skill I think !

Jo.C said...

Mine is very similar to yours but I don't put chilli in. That really looks good and I haven't had it for ages - may just have to have that tomorrow :0)

Sandra said...

that looks yum Fi, yes I'm always thinking of ways to use up cooked meats, and this looks goood.

Unknown said...

That looks lovely, my mind is boggling at the thought of my children eating this and with chopsticks, but it might tempt them. Jen

heatherblossom said...

will deffo give this a try but using spray oil to make it weightwatcher friendly:) thanks for putting it up:)

Lisa said...

fab food! you may be on kitchen duty next year!!
i've still got the chopsticks cos i did think about using them on a lo!! ;)
will deffo try that recipe asap

Lisa
xx